Devorgilla’s Bridge Dumfries
One of the oldest standing bridges in Scotland crosses the River Nith in Dumfries. Devorgilla Bridge or the Old Bridge is named after Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway, the mother of King John Balliol.
All the land to the west of the River Nith traditionally formed part of Galloway, which only truly became part of Scotland during Alexander II’s reign in the 1230s. Dumfries was therefore a frontier town for much of its early history and had grown up on the east side of a ford that provided the lowest crossing point of the River Nith. By 1186 the town was sufficiently well established to be made a Royal Burgh