Ross Island stands at the mouth of Kirkcudbright Bay and has had a lighthouse since 1843. The light was automated in 1960. The hill to the right of Ross Island is Meikle Ross which is a small peninsula with Ross bay to the north and Brighouse Bay to the west.
This view is from Torrs Point on the east side of Kirkcudbright Bay. The distance from here to Ross Island is just over one mile, or two kilometres. In the foreground the rock strata are aligned vertically, providing evidence of considerable folding of the geology in the region.