On the south side of Kirkcudbright Bay in the lee of the wooded peninsula known as St Mary’s Isle there lies a wide tidal inlet known as Manxman’s Lake. The name almost certainly derives from the year 1507 when the Earl of Derby, brought a large fleet here from the Isle of Man and they attacked the town of Kirkcudbright, leaving it burning and in a ruinous state. Manxmen being the name given to the residents of the Isle of Man which is about 27 miles south west of Kirkcudbright Bay, in the middle of the Irish Sea.
This early summer view is taken from the Point of the Isle looking north towards Kirkcudbright which lies to the left of the Barrhill seen in the distance. Manxman’s Lake, here at low tide, is on the right.